History of the Library
The library was established in 1938 as the Millington Township Library. The library later contracted with Arbela Township to give library services to the citizens of their township.
Through the years the library was housed in several locations in the Village of Millington. In 1970 the current building was constructed at 8530 Depot Street in Millington. In 1991, an addition increased the size of the structure by approximately twenty-five percent.
Reorganized as a District Library
In 2003, the library was reorganized as the Millington Arbela District Library with a voted millage. The Millington Arbela District Library then purchased the existing library building from Millington Township in 2004 and immediately began to renovate the structure. The library underwent a renovation that added an accessible front entrance. It was started in 2019 and completed in 2020