History of the Library
The library was established in 1938 as the Millington Township Library. The library later contracted with Arbela Township to give library services to the citizens of their township.
Through the years the library was housed in several locations in the Village of Millington. In 1970 the current building was constructed at 8530 Depot Street in Millington. In 1991, an addition increased the size of the structure by approximately twenty-five percent.
Reorganized as a District Library
In 2003, the library was reorganized as the Millington Arbela District Library with a voted millage. The Millington Arbela District Library then purchased the existing library building from Millington Township in 2004 and immediately began to renovate the structure.
Since then, the library has:
- Remodeled the restrooms bringing them up to code
- Installed a more energy-efficient lighting system
- Replaced the uneven south side sidewalk after improving drainage
- Replaced broken ornamental concrete with columns
- Purchased the vacant house and lot next door
- Demolished house to remove blight and to provide for future needs of the library
- Enlarged and paved the parking lot after improving drainage
- Created more handicapped parking spaces
- Purchased leather furniture for the public reading area
- Replaced solid doors to the conference room with glass
- More than doubled the book and DVD budget
- Insulated the ceiling
- Replaced gutters and installed gutter guards
- Replaced worn Formica(r) covered circulation desktop with granite