Millington Arbela District Library
Performs a variety of duties under the direction of a supervisor, some of a routine clerical nature and some of a professional nature. Supervision is provided by the Director and Assistant Director. Work is learned through on-the-job training, workshops, seminars and continuing education.
Distinguishing Features of the Class
Under the general supervision of the Director, responsible for creating a climate of welcoming and responsive atmosphere of service for all patrons. Provides reference and reader’s advisory services; interacts with the public to create a favorable impression of library services; plans and presents programs. Schedule includes evenings and weekends.
Examples of Duties:
• Provides reference and reader’s advisory services to patrons
• Understands full range of circulation desk procedures using an automated circulation system
• Carries out procedures for notifications of patrons of overdue material
• Registers new patrons and maintains records of patron applications
• Handles fines, uses the cash register
• Uses public catalog, internet, and printers
• Assists patrons with computers and software
• Transmits faxes and scans documents
• Uses copier and computers
• Answers telephone
• Shelves material
• Assist patrons and processes MeL library loan
• Solves patron problems encountered during their library visit
• Monitors library supplies for ordering
• Creates marketing and promotional material
• Merchandises books and other library materials to enhance their appeal and promote their use by patrons
• Facilitates programming, as needed, in skill set
• Inspects library materials for repair and may assist in repairing and/or processing library material
• Performs general cleaning duties in the library including shoveling and sweeping sidewalks and taking out garbage.
• Other duties as assigned
Acceptable Experience and Training:
• High school diploma or GED
• Graduation from a college or university preferred
• Public library experience preferred
• Experience with Google apps, Word, Excel, Canva and other application software
• Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities
The library will be going to the hours below moving forward:
Monday 9am-8pm, Tuesday 9am-2pm, Wednesday 9am-2pm, Thursday 9am-8pm, Friday 9am-6pm, Saturday 9am-1pm
The Millington Arbela District Library is accepting resumes for the position of Library Director.
Description: The Millington Arbela District Library is a Class III library serving a population of over 7,400 in the Village of Millington and Millington and Arbela Townships. Millington is a charming rural community located in the Thumb of Michigan yet conveniently located to the Saginaw, Flint, and Bay City areas. The Southern Links Trailway trail head is located two blocks from the library and brings a variety of recreational opportunities. The Village and surrounding areas have many quaint antique shops and local eateries.
The library is open 57 hours, six days a week with a staff of 9 and an approximate annual budget of $200,000. The Millington Arbela District Library is a member of the White Pine Library Cooperative.
The Board is seeking a dynamic, positive individual to lead the library. The successful candidate will be a “hands-on” administrator, be visible in the library and in the community, have a vision for library service, and have the ability to articulate that vision to the Board, the staff, and the public. Candidates will have strong technology skills and a vision for the use of technology in providing library services, be an excellent communicator, and have experience in managing and directing employees. Candidates should also be able to demonstrate customer service focus, financial management expertise, and strong Board relations. A complete job description is available at http://millingtonlibrary.info/ .
• Bachelor’s degree
• Ability to obtain a Level 3 certification from Library of Michigan within 1 year of hire date.
• A minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible public library experience.
• Extensive knowledge of current public library principles, methods and practices and will possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with community leaders, public officials, professional groups, library employees and the general public.
• A working knowledge of budget preparation, use of QuickBooks software, grant writing, and fundraising. Salary Range: $34,000-$40,000 (depending on qualifications and experience). Benefit package includes paid holidays, vacation, personal days, and health insurance.
Contact: The Millington Arbela District Library is an equal opportunity employer. Deadline for applications is August 20, 2020. Interested individuals should send a cover letter, a resume, and contact information for three references to: email@example.com